Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wine Glass Pumpkin Candle Holders

Hi Everyone! So sorry I haven't written in a while! I've been feeling a little bit under the weather lately. But I'm back and ready to show you the results of a couple of my latest Pinterest projects. Since the leaves are changing and Fall is upon us I thought we'd stick with a little theme for the next several posts. PUMPKINS!!  So without further ado, let's do this dang thang!!


pinterest version

 First up, Dollar Tree wine glasses painted to look like pumpkins and turned into candle holders.. Phew that was a freaking mouth full. You've seen these I'm sure. If you haven't seen the pumpkin ones you've seen the snowmen ones. They're all over Pinterest.






pinterest version

Lucky for me, I had 4 extra wine glasses left over from the project where I tried to frost them myself so I didn't have to go buy any! Score one for Rayna! I also had all the paint I would need to make them look like pumpkins. Or to TRY and make them look like pumpkins I should say.  I mean really. Look at the way these are painted. Does the person who originally  painted these snowmen or these pumpkins really expect the average Pinner to be able to paint like this?? I actually consider myself
to be a pretty dang good painter but, as you'll see, my pumpkins turn out
nothing like the one you see to the right.











OK, so this is really a simple project if you don't care that yours look NOTHING like the one's you see on Pinterst hahaha. If you do, Stop reading now and good freaking luck. OK, I took three wine glasses, two for red wine because they're rounder like an actual pumpkin and one glass for white wine. All I did was  paint the bottom half orange and then  paint the stem green as so. I let it dry and then did another coat of each. For some reason the paint doesn't go on evenly on the glass so it actually looks like it has some shading and depth to it when it dries. Pretty cool cause you don't have to go in with lighter and darker colors to create that effect (affect ?? )



Next, I just waited for the second coat to dry and then took a beige paint I already had in my art box and painted stripes vertically down the base with a very thin paint brush. I know, I know, it looks pretty crappy here when it's wet but I promise it does actually look like a pumpkin when it's all said and done with. 
Lastly,  it was time to try and decorate the stem like the pic of the original.  I, however, refuse to spend any money on this project  because 1.) I thought it was going to be a bust when I compared my pumpkin wine glass to the Pinterest one and 2.) Have you been to Michael's lately? A little strand of those leaves costs like $5 bucks!! Forget that. I had some of this stuff that's like what a basket is made of (no freaking idea what the hell this stuff is) leftover from - again- another project. So I thought that might work (remember I was HATING my pumpkin painting skills at this time). I also, for some random reason, had picked up some tea lights while I was at the Dollar Tree one day so I didn't have to go out and buy those either.. Double Score for Rayna!
 
I took three strands of the twine, bunched it together and then tied it in a bow around the stem of the wine glass. I then turned the wine glasses upside down and put a tea light on the base of the wine glass. I lit them Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd Here's the big reveal!!
TA-DA!!

 Not to bad right? I mean for something that took me maybe 10 minutes to complete they look pretty damn good. My real estate agent actually saw these on my book shelf and fell in love with them. She wanted to know where I bought them LOL! So, if you've pinned this and are thinking I can't paint like that.. Well, now you don't have that excuse because I can't paint like that either and mine came out OK.
If you didn't have any of these items at your house and wanted to make these here's what it'd cost you. (you can get most of it at Dollar Tree)
Dollar Tree wine glasses about $3.25 for all three
Dollar Tree Twine or ribbon for the stem $1.09
Paint $1.25 for two at Walmart or Michaels... so a little over $5 bucks total!

Here's a little sneak peak at our next pumpkin project! And if you're my friend on Facebook you may have heard that I attempted to make the Pinterest Pumpkin Spice Latte that claims to be an exact replica of the Starbucks Fave. That one's coming up in a few days! I promise you don't want to miss that one.
 Plus, I have some more recipes to share with you guys!

Have a great night everyone!
XOXOXOXOXO

The Posh Pinner

6 comments:

  1. Cuuuuute!! Great job, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned these a year ago and forgot about them until I saw your post. You inspired me. To Bargain World (local 2nd hand store)I went and for $4.50 I picked up an assortment of 9 wine glasses - I had everything else. These were indeed simple and you are right, the paint brush strokes added depth and in some cases, dimension :/. Perfect and they turned out soooo cute. I'm keeping a set for myself and giving the other 2 sets as gifts. Cute cute cute!! Thanks for a great post!! PS: Be sure to ventilate well if using a plastic coat or spray sealant.











    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Poshpinner! I posted the last comment and wanted to update you on what I've done (dunno if you're interested - sorry). I had fun doing the pumpkin glasses but took it a step further and began looking for a tutorial on the snowmen one, of which, I found none. Zippo. Zilch. So, I decided to try my hand at copying the ones pictured. I painted (for days - I did 4 sets - and bake/cured them in the oven). They are not perfect by any means but turned out really, really cute. So, another do-able project. I am so glad you posted on the pumpkin ones. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Westside Soapworks! Don't you hate it when you find a pin you love and it has no tutorial! It's such a tease lol. I've painted some wine glasses for my girlfriends with cute little sayings on them and baked them and they turned out super cute! I'll have to take some pics and post them to show you. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got caught up studying for the GRE and honestly didn't think anyone was reading my blog. lol. Thank you for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course someone is reading your blog !! :) I, too, am in western Washington. This of how we while away these gloomy, grey days. I'd love to see the glasses you did. Def trying to copy someones pinned photo, rather than a tutorial, was difficult but I actually did not too bad. It just took way, way longer than the pumpkin ones. Lots of tiny details but I got 'em!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First up, Dollar Tree wine glasses painted to look like pumpkins and turned into ... ewineglasses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete