Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Project #2-The Happy Fall Y'all Sign

Happy Blog Day!! Everybody ready for Pumpkin Project #2? The Happy Fall Y'all sign!



I love, love, love this one and think it's pretty easy to paint even if you are artistically challenged. This one is going to be kind of difficult to explain but I really want you guys to know how easy it is to make and cheap (much cheaper than buying one on Etsy or Ebay). I'll try to give you a play by play on how I replicated this and some helpful tips if you're not so hot at the artsy fartsy stuff.

First off, Michael's has AWESOME sales on their canvases about once a month. For one canvas at regular price, you can expect to pay up to $8.00 FOR ONE! Again, if you read my blog regularly you know I'm a huge cheap ass and refuse to pay full price for anything. That's why I always buy my canvases in bulk and on sale, whether it's at a craft store or at Wal-mart or online.  *Tip*-sign up for Michaels reward program. They'll give you a little card and you'll get emails with coupons and ads ALL the time. Usually I get a $40% off one item coupon every single week. They automatically take it off the most expensive item in your cart. When you sign up for the card you also get a 20% off your next purchase!! JIGGA WHAT?? Anyway,  I waited until they put their canvases on sale and bought a 5 pack for $11.99.. That's CRAZY good!! They also have decent prices for acrylic paint. (Wal-Mart is a tad bit cheaper) For this project I used four colors (green, brown, purple and orange) and bought a black paint pen for the writing. Trust me.. YOU WANT to do writing in paint pens if you aren't artistic.

So, to recreate this Pinterst painting all I did was draw out the shape of the pumpkins in pencil and then paint the background green. Next, I  painted the shape of the pumpkins orange (looks like a big orange blob which is fine because you'll outline the two pumpkins in black later) and let it all dry. If you can't freehand the pumpkins here's a little tip. I know you all have about 40 Tupperware bowls in various sizes in your bottom kitchen cabinet. Take the lids to a large one and medium size one and just trace them on to your canvas. Then paint them.


Next, I added the polka dots to the canvas background. I didn't like the green on green so I used purple instead. Completely up to you. *Tip* You know those  paint brushes that are just a rectangle sponge on a stick? Well, in the craft section they make those in the shape of a circle AND in small, medium, large! Is your mind blown yet?? It's Perfect for getting a Perfect circle and the paint goes on much easier!!You'll use these all the time if you start getting into painting. You just dab the circle in the paint and then stamp the circle on to the canvas and you've got your polka dot.

After the polka dots dried I wrote Happy Fall Y'all in a way that resembled the text the original artist painted. If you can't mimic this simply write it out  and add little dots to the end of the letters. (like how I did The Lettermans) It's just as cute. I painted the stems of the pumpkins, added a couple of lines down their base and added my last name.. As a bonus I took some of that baskety stuff from the Dollar Tree and glued it at the stem of the pumpkin.  Boom Goes the Dynamite!! Love it!!




And, since I had those four extra canvases I decided to make one for Halloween as well. I saw something on etsy where a crafter turned the o's in BOO into pumpkins and loved it so here's what I came up with. Check it out.


All I did for this one is paint my canvas black, free handed two pumpkins (again you can use bowls) and for the B I really just drew squiggly lines and filled it in with orange paint. Took the black paint pen and detailed the pumpkins and painted a green stem. Now, I will say the spider web was a bit more tricky. I started with a dot in the center of the B and then drew the straight lines through the dot until it looked like an asterisk. After that I simply drew upside down arches connecting the lines. Hope that made sense.


These paintings can be used year after year and I plan on making a few for Christmas. They also look great hanging on your front door instead of a wreath. You can make them, personalize them and then give them as gifts as well.

Coming up later this week, as promised, I'll tell you how the Pinterest Pumpkin Spice Latte turned out and give you a few tips for making it more Starbuck like cause Believe me, it needs some serious help!!! ;)

See ya in a few days!

XOXOXOXOXO

The Posh Pinner

1 comment:

  1. Great job Rayna! LOVE them... maybe someday I'll have five extra minutes to actually make something... :-)

    ReplyDelete