Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pinterest Recipes- The Good, The Bad and the Eh..

Hi everybody! Hope you've all had a fabulous weekend.  I promised in my last blog post that I'd give you guys the rundown on some Pinterest recipes I've tried out, but first I have a confession. I cant cook. Not even a little bit. If it weren't for my crock pot, boxed macaroni and cheese and bagged salad, my husband Matt would starve to death. In all actuality he's the chef in the family, and by chef I mean he can pour BBQ sauce on some chicken breasts, throw them on the grill and open up that bagged salad. Neither one of us has ever been that good in the kitchen, but Pinterest is slowly teaching me the ropes. Therefore, you're not going to see me trying out the pumpkin puree souffle, or the braised leg of lamb with some sort of demi-glace, whatever the hell that is. Instead, you're gonna get a lot of crock pot recipes and casseroles that take me about 5 minutes to prep and that I have a 0% chance of screwing up. You feel me??

NOTE* I must warn you guys. I eat a lot of chicken and I mean A LOT!!! Not to get too personal on ya, but I have a medical condition that limits the types of foods I can eat, but I'll try to keep things interesting for you.

THE GOOD

1.) Easy Crock Pot Chicken & Rice from forkinit.blogspot.com
I wanted to start you guys out with a pretty good one. Matt loves this! He loves it so much that he's eaten it the past three days (which  is fine by me cause it means I didn't have to cook) It's the easiest thing in the world. Just throw it all together in the crock pot and then cook some rice right before you're ready to serve it. Done.
Ingredients:
2-4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese (let sit out to soften) ( I use non-fat)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. Italian dressing seasoning (the dried kind in the packet)
rice

Stir the cream cheese (let it get soft so you can stir it), cream of chicken, and seasoning together in the crock pot.  Put the chicken in (frozen is OK but I thaw mine first)  and cover with the mix. Cook on high 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked and fall-apart-tender.

Cook the rice in a pot and then smother with the chicken mixture! That's it. One thing, the chicken mix ends up getting pretty thick so you may want to add a little bit of water towards the end.

2.) Baked Italian Chicken-from Savings-Makes-Cents
- this one is just as simple.. It's not AMAZING but it's perfectly acceptable for a Tuesday night dinner and it's super quick. *Note*Instead of a full stick of better I use 2 1/2 tbsp's and then some olive or vegetable oil so it's a bit healthier.
Ingredients
6 raw chicken breasts
new potatoes
green beans (really any green veggie would work.. I used Zucchini)

Arrange in 9×13 dish. Sprinkle with a packet of Italian dressing mix and then top with a melted stick of butter. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. (took more like 1.5 hours.. just up the temp)


3.)Grilled Jalapeno Pepper Poppers from Food.com-
Looking for something easy and delish to make for next week's football game! These are the BOMB!! Love them! (you end up with 24 of these)
Ingredients
12 fresh jalapenos
1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (I prefer cheddar, but they all are good)
12 slices bacon

Cut peppers in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds and white membranes. Next, Fill each half with  cheese. Cut the bacon slices in half so that you have 24 shorter slices. Wrap each cheese stuffed jalapeno with a bacon slice and then secure with toothpicks if you need to or slide them on skewers. Grill them until the bacon is crispy and browned, turning every few minutes (stay with them and watch for flare ups from the dripping bacon fat or they will burn); grill for about 15 or 20 minutes. (you could even bake them if you remember to flip them)
The bacon should be crisp, the jalapeno crisp tender and the cheese should be hot.

NOW THE BAD

1) Chicken Eenchilada in Avocado Cream Sauce-- I know you've seen these. In fact I think the pin says something about them being the best enchiladas in the world. SO NOT TRUE. I'll admit the cream sauce is a bit tasty, But added with the other stuff, nope. It's too much. Matt hated them and he eats anything I cook as to not make me feel bad because I try so hard, and he couldn't even stomach one of them. Not to mention... HOLY list of ingredients! It took more than an  hour just to prep these to put in the oven, and Matt and I were both working on them! Save yourself the trouble and if you're craving Mexican wait until the chicken soft taco recipe I'm giving you later this week.  (I'm only listing the ingredient list so you can distinguish this enchilada recipe with the others making their way around Pinterest.)
Enchilada Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 poblano peppers, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
8-10 flour tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken(rotisserie works best)
2-3 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
optional garnish: fresh cilantro, sour cream, and/or shredded cheese
Avocado Cream Sauce Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 California avocados, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of one lime
2) OMG Chicken-- You'll say Oh My God all right. As in Oh My God what the eff bomb is this crap!!??!! Just pretend you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER saw this. Oh my vomit this is bad!!! Simple, but bad!!!! I think I threw this away and ate cereal the night I made this.


Later this week I'll pass on the best chicken soft taco recipe in the world! It's so good. I also found a pretty simple Key Lime Pie recipe that was totally worth the time and effort.


XOXOXOXO
The Posh Pinner

No comments:

Post a Comment